May 28, 2013 by Bill Burke, BostonHerald.com
Hats off to the Cape Codder Resort & Spa in Hyannis, which has been awarded Silver Level by The TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Program.
The GreenLeaders Program recognizes hotels and B&Bs that engage in environmentally friendly practices.
TripAdvisor developed this program with help from national and international green industry experts including the US Green Building Council’s LEED Certification Program, the United Nations Environment Program, the US Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program, and other sustainability experts.
The program is completely voluntary and properties do not pay to participate.
All participating hotels and B&Bs must meet a minimum set of requirements to be included in the program and attain the level of GreenPartner:
• Having linen and towel re-use plans
• Tracking energy usage on a regular basis
• Using energy efficient light-bulbs
• Educating staff and guests on green practices
Cape Codder's Green Practices:
• Biodegradable toiletries
• Organic/local food & beverages
• Waste is composted
• Staff training on green practices
• Energy-saving lighting controls
• Low chemical gardening